Community and Identity
As an Individual, each one of us belongs to a certain community that makes us who we are wherein there is a sense of belongingness and a sense of community around strangers you just met. I am a student that attends a University. I am a Catholic. I am a musician and I have great interest in the Medical field. I am a Filipino who lives in a foreign country. These are the different communities where I belong. John quoted in the article that communities of practice are seen as complex collections o f individuals who share genres, language, values, concepts, and "ways of being" (500). As a Catholic, I was raised to attend Sunday Mass, attend a Catholic School and learn about my religion and the practices, feasts and songs. I had became a routine that even now that I am grown and can freely choose the path I want to take, I cannot just outlive and forget about the teachings and practices that I grew up learning and doing easily or even completely.
Now a days, I have noticed that people can easily identify someone especially if they are part of a group/organization which we can also refer to as a community. Becoming a part of one I noticed changes within me such as my beliefs, attitude, manners, language that I use and even my opinion about things. It has great impact to my sense of self as I see myself becoming a different person, more like grown and a person who continuously learning. I think that it made me become a deeper, more mature and more open-minded as a person. I learned to value and respect others more and I learned to love and accept myself despite of many flaws I have. Within a community there is diversity. Diversity does not only include one's race, religion, nationality or culture. Language, field of work, age group, hobbies, interests and more are part of being in a diverse community. Soon enough as I acquire a new identity I may have to let go the part of me who has self doubt on what I can and cannot do. To be able to work in the Medical field, it is important to have self confidence and to bring out enthusiasm as I work with clients/patients. It will not really cost me a lot to assume a new identity, maybe some people will have negative thoughts of me being over confident or maybe they will doubt my abilities but that is when I have to just show and prove to them that I belong in this new community. To be an Occupational Therapist, one must be able to build connection with the people we work with and encounter. In this way, trust is built and those people I encounter and work with may create a bonded community that helps and provide not just physical but emotional connection to the people as well.
Authority may come in different forms such as shift supervisor, managers, area managers, franchise manager for some work areas. Editors to editor in chief, teachers/professors to deans these are some authorities that may be in play. John mentioned that one of the main issue of authority will always be an authoritative hierarchy to set the tone of a community. To have an authority, one must obtain the trust of the people within the discourse community. People within the community must have faith and believes in the capabilities to lead of this authority figure. While to impose authority, one must have the power to influence the people in a way that everyone could benefit from.
Now a days, I have noticed that people can easily identify someone especially if they are part of a group/organization which we can also refer to as a community. Becoming a part of one I noticed changes within me such as my beliefs, attitude, manners, language that I use and even my opinion about things. It has great impact to my sense of self as I see myself becoming a different person, more like grown and a person who continuously learning. I think that it made me become a deeper, more mature and more open-minded as a person. I learned to value and respect others more and I learned to love and accept myself despite of many flaws I have. Within a community there is diversity. Diversity does not only include one's race, religion, nationality or culture. Language, field of work, age group, hobbies, interests and more are part of being in a diverse community. Soon enough as I acquire a new identity I may have to let go the part of me who has self doubt on what I can and cannot do. To be able to work in the Medical field, it is important to have self confidence and to bring out enthusiasm as I work with clients/patients. It will not really cost me a lot to assume a new identity, maybe some people will have negative thoughts of me being over confident or maybe they will doubt my abilities but that is when I have to just show and prove to them that I belong in this new community. To be an Occupational Therapist, one must be able to build connection with the people we work with and encounter. In this way, trust is built and those people I encounter and work with may create a bonded community that helps and provide not just physical but emotional connection to the people as well.
Authority may come in different forms such as shift supervisor, managers, area managers, franchise manager for some work areas. Editors to editor in chief, teachers/professors to deans these are some authorities that may be in play. John mentioned that one of the main issue of authority will always be an authoritative hierarchy to set the tone of a community. To have an authority, one must obtain the trust of the people within the discourse community. People within the community must have faith and believes in the capabilities to lead of this authority figure. While to impose authority, one must have the power to influence the people in a way that everyone could benefit from.


Hi Mariel,
ReplyDeleteGreat analysis on what discourse communities are, and I also enjoyed what you shared about your own discourse communities you are involved in. I like your idea of diversity in a discourse community, where people of different beliefs, opinions, and hobbies, can all still be a part of the same community, so long as they share a common goal that makes for the foundation of the discourse community. Your discussion of trust being the most important factor in authority was also interesting. While seniority and skill do both play a part in the position of authority, it is mainly trust that wins the hearts of the people who follow you and respect the authority you uphold.
Hello Mariel,
ReplyDeleteGood post! I agree that gain authority in a community you have to gain trust from people. For some authority come with the position they are in for example a manger, but also authority could be given as a result to the respect you've earned from people in that community. I like you used you're own discourse community and how you talk about trust because I think that trust is also a form of respect.
Thanks for sharing!
-Emilio
Hi Mariel,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing. I was once in a leadership workshop. The context reminds me of the “authority” here. I assume those who have authority are called leaders. But do leaders all have power? Do powerful people make the best leaders? This is actually a very interested question to think about. Leaders help others to do the right things. They set direction, build an inspiring vision, and create something new. Leadership is about mapping out where you need to go to "win" as a team or an organization; and it is dynamic, exciting, and inspiring. Yet, while leaders set the direction, they must also use management skills to guide their people to the right destination, in a smooth and efficient way. I think the most distinguished character a leader embraces are the believe. He/she has faith in the team, or the discourse community, for all his/her members and lead them all with encouragements.
I enjoyed reading your blog. Felt like I could really identify with what you were talking about. When you stated that communities have made you a "deeper, more mature and more open-minded as a person" and that they've helped you respect and value people more I immediately thought of my communities. I couldn't agree more. Communities are a gift that make us better versions of ourselves.
ReplyDeleteHello Mariel,
ReplyDeleteYour post was interesting to read since you included a lot of things about yourself and how they make you part of different communities. I also found your observation about letting go of some identities eye-opening. It definitely isn't easy trying to get rid of something or leaving something that used to be so intrinsic to your life behind. Maybe that's what makes growing up so difficult sometimes.