No more spoon feeding, Grow up!


St. Paul College High School Chorale
Youth All Girls Category- Gold Medalist
2012 2nd Vietnam International Festival and Competition
     Moving from one country to another... it sounds very exciting at the same time nerve racking. Leaving the place I called home for 18 years was never easy. I had to leave everything behind, my friends, family and the life I had. I've always had maids to do the chores and a driver to drive me around. You might say I was spoiled but I am not, but I agree that all my life I was being spoon fed. Growing up, I've only been around girls most of the time since I came from an all girls Catholic school from Kindergarten until I graduated High school. During my high school years, I was a member of an award winning all girls choir group in the Philippines. We competed in local, regional and international competitions and had won various prestigious competitions. It was quite the ride, I had the best time of my life. All these had to end eventually. Transitioning to College was a challenge for me since I had to leave home and move to another country. I did not want to but I had no choice.

FAST FORWARD...

Here I am, I'm in America, FINALLY!
I had to adjust. I tell you, it was not easy.
     I got used to the every day company of women, I felt uneasy being around men on a daily basis. I was culture shocked. Everything felt like a rush, it was too sudden for me. Then I said, "This is not for me, I want to go home". I started doing chores, driving myself around and getting a job. I had no time to sing like how I used to or even do things for myself. I felt depressed and home sick. I cried for months, I felt lost, helpless and back to hiding in my shell. Until one day I sat down, I was thinking deeply. Next thing I did, I tried to toughen myself out and realized that maybe I should welcome change instead of holding back, I should be embracing it. I told myself, "No more to being spoon fed! I am a grown up and I should learn and grow".

       In this picture it was my mom's birthday and as a gift for her I said, "Mom, I'll start paying for my own tuition for college, I will be working two jobs to help you out and try my best to keep my grades up". My parents were surprised, they didn't expect me to say anything. From then on, I felt like I'm not so little anymore. It honestly felt good to be capable and able to actually do things on my own without relying to others. It made me feel like I have grown as a woman and that I have become more responsible and independent. 


Comments

Popular Posts